Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Food Mishaps

Hiya! How has your day been today? Rather, how have your meals been today? I hope they were better than mine. For lunch, I was determined to make a delectable vegetable stir fry. Yum. After purchasing the ingredients (absurd prices, might I add. Let's just all grow our own gardens), I was excited to get down to business and cook up a real delight. In Asia, fish sauce, oyster sauce, and sesame oil are generally used, but they must make the liquids differently here in the U.S. of A., because I have never been in a room with such a stench. Seriously. I don't think it's even possible, or plausible, to describe the nauseating odor that was presented in my kitchen this afternoon. After complete failure (and to my dismay), the majority was thrown out. The vegetable art was, by no means, appealing in any way, shape, or form. I sighed a deep sigh and took out another pan. Second time is always a little better, right? Right. Only for this round, I decided to steer clear of any re-creations. (I know from past concoctions that it takes more than two tries to get a recipe perfect). Besides, my stomach was going to be the death of me if I didn't come up with plan B (okay, slight exaggeration). Luckily, plan B didn't take long to come up with. I decided to invent an entirely new sandwich. Now I know what you're thinking, "Katie, it's probably already been invented...your's is nothing special." Okay you know-it-all, go ahead and rain on my parade.  It just so happened that several ingredients I spotted in the refrigerator seemed to suit my fancy...and my appetite. Do you remember my Food Combinations post? Well, this sandwich brings the matter to a whole new level. The only difference is that it doesn't sound half as disgusting as some of the other food choices. I'd like to call it, "The Katie Deluxe 6000." Every time the sandwich is referred to as this name, a little musical *ding* will go off in the distance, and a jazzy voice will follow by singing this slogan: "When times get rough, the sandwich isn't so tough, test the Katie Deluxe 6000, yeahh." At this point, you're probably curious as to what this deal included. Here's the list: Toasted whole wheat bread, thinly sliced roast beef, fresh avocado slices, spinach leaves, 1 egg omelet with parmesan cheese melted beautifully in the middle, and chives sprinkled over the egg. That's it. Heaven presented in food form! If you so choose to make this at your own risk, beware, the *ding* tends to be a bit obnoxious if you're not prepared. Happy cooking, friends!

Why can't our grocery stores look like this? Overflowing with fruits, vegetables, and color - all marketed at outstanding prices? I bought a pineapple the other day, guess how much it was? FOUR stinkin' dollars! As opposed to 15 cents in the Philippines. Goodness, I miss it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment