Friday, May 18, 2012

I don't wash my hair...

...With Shampoo! That's right. I stopped washing my hair in February 2011.
Say whaaaa? "Disgusting" may be the first word that comes to your mind.
I understand, really, I do. Well friends, read on. Let your minds be blown. 
What use to be the most discouraging factor of being out and about the whole day, was looking in the mirror in the late afternoon.
My hair? A disaster. My solution? More product.
Drier than the desert, my hair was looking like it needed a drink.
I began researching, and found out that the shampoo I was using (which claimed to be for curly hair), was actually one of the worst shampoos one could be using. I set out in search of sulfate-free shampoo.
Before I had the chance to purchase any new product, I ran across people using no shampoo, and no conditioner.. at all. Some of whom were family friends.
Their trick? Baking soda. Conditioner? Apple cider vinegar.
I was curious, and naturally, tried it out.
No regrets! Nothing but happiness and triumph over my locks!
The vinegar scent goes away after a short while.
If you try out this concoction, give at least two weeks before giving up.
Still skeptical? I would be. Google it! There is strength in numbers.
Meaning, so many are pleased with the results.
Never again will shampoo be used in my house. No more harsh chemicals meeting this scalp! One of the biggest benefits? I don't get discouraged at the dryness of my hair. Why? Because it's not dry! My hair now retains moisture and stays styled exactly how I want it to, no chemicals needed!
So tell me, have you tried going "no-poo" too? If not, what are your thoughts?
--------

Update (2013): I probably use closer to 2.5 tablespoons of baking soda.
I don't use the vinegar that much. After my hair dries, I rub in coconut oil on my fingertips and work it in on the lengths/tips of my hair. This helps keep frizz down! 

8 comments:

  1. Hmm I'm not sure I could do this but I'm definitely favoriting it to try it out sometime in the future. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh hholy stinkin COW! This sounds fantastic! And isn't it Apple Cider Vineger that helps your hair to grow too? I love home-made tricks! Right on Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this this week. My hair has been suffering for awhile, and I have thyroid problems so my poor hair is thinning and brittle =/ I'll go a natural for a week and let you know how it all turns out.
    Thanks Katie =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! Awesome. I've never heard of doing this.. Might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. apple cider vinegar works for ANYTHING. It's God's miracle, i believe it. I use it for my skin because it helps with acne scarring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i might have to try this! my hair is a frizz ball.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just thought I'd let you all know this is working really well! My mom complimented me on my hair... "What did you use??? Color shampoo???"
    nope. Apple cider vinegar and baking soda =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curly too, and right now, in the morning, having a problem with it: It looks like I have a nest on my head. I'm definitely trying this! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete